Monday, April 14, 2008

A City where you can't hear yourself

A very interesting report in the New York Times by Michael Slackman . The city he was talking about was not any city except my beloved beautiful  Cairo , oh oh Cairo , Noisy Cairo. "Thanks Jim for link"

Seriously this city is driving me sick from the noise and the pollution. I was not surprised to know that the noise that was measured in the Tahriri Square and Al Ahram Street was equal to 95 decibel "well they forgot Mohendessin and the Shooting Club street too !!"

Look I love Giza and Cairo ; I do not imagine that I live in city other than them but sometimes when I go to 6 October city or New Cairo I feel that I need this quiet clean relaxing atmosphere !! Even when I go to the North Coast or the cities of the Red Sea Coast I feel that I can transfer my life there if I have the option.

I will not speak about the far golden past when the streets of Cairo were clean , the people were polite and the trees were everywhere , it is obvious why it became like this ; the over growing population , the increase use of Cars  , the ultimate problem of Egyptians that they want their kids to live beside them and they do not want to go and inhabit the new areas and of course the government role in neglecting something called city planning !!

The report hinted to a very important fact that is contributing effectively to the noise problem We , the Egyptians adore noise , we are like the rest of the Mediterranean people ,we love sound and noise ,of course in reasonable way because now many Egyptians are suffering from migraines and many of my noisy friends transferred to 6 October city and Can't stand the hell noise and pollution of Cairo and Giza !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.